The nationally recognized WVU Literacy Education online master's program prepares candidates to be certified as Reading Specialists (Pre-K-Adult).
- Classes offered 100% online, through
- Reading Specialist Certification (Pre-K-Adult)
- 30 credit hours, 8-week courses
- Flexible scheduling (multiple courses offered in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters)
- School-based intervention practicum and novice literary coaching experiences may be completed in your home community , supervised remotely by WVU faculty
WVU's Literacy Education program is the recipient of the International Literacy Association's National Recognition
Coursework will focus on preparing specialized literacy professionals in the three areas identified by the International Literacy Association: Intervention/assessment, literacy coaching and literacy program coordination.
Graduates may assume the following roles:
- Reading Specialist
- Reading Interventionist
- Classroom Teacher
- Literacy Coach
- Literacy Coordinator
West Virginia requires a passing score on the respective PRAXIS examination (Test #5301/164 pass rate) to become certified.
The Literacy Education/Reading Specialist certification specialty licensure area offered at West Virginia University has been approved by the West Virginia Board of Education.
The Literacy Education/Reading Specialist certification specialty licensure area is state approved and is nationally recognized by the International Literacy Association.
The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH)
Grant Program provides grants per term (based on enrollment status) to students
who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that
serves students from low-income families.