The nationally recognized WVU Literacy Education online master's program prepares candidates to be certified as Reading Specialists (Pre-K-Adult).
- Classes offered 100% online, through
- Reading Specialist Certification (Pre-K-Adult)
- 30 credit hours, 8-week courses
- Flexible scheduling (multiple courses offered in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters)
- School-based intervention practicum and novice literary coaching experiences may be completed in your home community , supervised remotely by WVU faculty
Coursework will focus on preparing specialized literacy professionals in the three areas identified by the International Literacy Association: Intervention/assessment, literacy coaching and literacy program coordination. Graduates may assume the following roles: Reading Specialist, Reading Interventionist, Classroom Teacher, Literacy Coach and Literacy Coordinator.
West Virginia requires a passing score on the respective PRAXIS examination (Test #5301/164 pass rate) to become certified.
The Literacy Education/Reading Specialist certification specialty licensure area offered at West Virginia University has been approved by the West Virginia Board of Education.
The Literacy Education/Reading Specialist certification specialty licensure area is state approved and is nationally recognized by the International Literacy Association.