The nationally recognized WVU Literacy Education online master's program prepares candidates to be certified as Reading Specialists (Pre-K-Adult).
- Classes offered 100% online, through WVU Online
- Reading Specialist Certification (Pre-K-Adult)
- 30 credit hours, 16-week courses
- Flexible scheduling (multiple courses offered in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters)
- School-based intervention practicum and novice literary coaching experiences may be completed in the area in which you live, supervised remotely by WVU faculty
Coursework will focus on preparing specialized literacy professionals in the three areas identified by the International Literacy Association: Intervention/assessment, literacy coaching and literacy program coordination. Graduates may assume the following roles: Reading Specialist, Reading Interventionist, Classroom Teacher, Literacy Coach and Literacy Coordinator.
West Virginia requires a passing score on the respective PRAXIS examination (Test #5301/164 pass rate) to become certified.
For questions, please contact:
The West Virginia University Literacy Education program is Nationally Recognized through the International Literacy Association (ILA) and Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).