The nationally recognized WVU Literacy Education online master's program prepares candidates to be certified as Reading Specialists (Pre-K-Adult).
- Classes offered 100% online, through WVU Online
- Reading Specialist Certification (Pre-K-Adult)
- 30 credit hours, 16-week courses
- Flexible scheduling (multiple courses offered in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters)
- School-based intervention practicum and novice literary coaching experiences may be completed in the area in which you live, supervised remotely by WVU faculty
- 24-credit graduate certification option for those who already have a master's degree and two years of teaching experience
Coursework will focus on preparing specialized literacy professionals in the three areas identified by the International Literacy Association: Intervention/assessment, literacy coaching and literacy program coordination. Graduates may assume the following roles: Reading Specialist, Reading Interventionist, Classroom Teacher, Literacy Coach and Literacy Coordinator.
West Virginia requires a passing score on the respective PRAXIS examination (Test #5301/164 pass rate) to become certified.
For questions, please contact:
The West Virginia University Literacy Education program is Nationally Recognized through the International Literacy Association (ILA) and Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).